Pages

Thursday 16 January 2014

You've got a friend


12 hours into 2014, and with the storms came a brand new friend.

Driving along the worst country lane known to man, singing my heart out to Miley Cyrus (Yes it was 'Wrecking Ball', Don't hate), and laughing to the world that I was secretly still in my Pyjamas whilst hoping that today was not going to be the day that I had to get out of my car and display said outfit, was how I first came across Susie.

Looking ahead, the flashing of hazard lights and the shipwrecked car loitering in the bend of the road triggered my nosiness, which in turn made me pull over to see what was going on... and honestly whether it was going to be a dramatic story to tell my sister. And my god It was.

Out-hopped Susie, an 80 year old lady with hair permed to perfection and nails manicured to within an inch of their lives. Expecting her to usher me on telling me not to worry and help was on it's way, her panicked and slightly lost tone of voice corrected this thought straight away. She had obviously hit the vat of water across the road too fast and dislodged something from underneath her car. Being 80, lying down on your front to check beneath was not a feasible option, so out I got remembering my current state of dress and feeling slightly silly.

I've never voluntary lain in a puddle before, so new experiences were had by all that day.

After confirming Susie's fears, and attempting to put back whatever was hanging loose (who was I kidding), a quick call to the AA was made (it should be compulsory for elderly people to own a phone), and I was on my way, knowing that Susie was going to be picked up within the half hour. I gave her my number and address, and told her to call me when she was back home to give me piece of mind that all went smoothly.

I got that call. But I also received something else through the post a week later. The loveliest, most heartfelt thank you letter I have ever got in my life, along with a gift card for £50. Incredible. "You were our good Samaritan that day... and I shall remember your kindness forever. Please find yourself something nice with this gift card". I was stunned and truly touched at how much my help meant to Susie. It's incredible how the smallest of actions from one's own point of view, could mean a whole lot more to someone else. This event has restored my faith in humanity that little bit more; people are kind, really. And that's not referring to myself. A call and a quick thanks was enough for me, but to go to the effort of writing a page-long letter along with the most generous gift a stranger has ever given me, truly was unexpected and rather lovely.



A good start to the year, I think.

@FreyaWallace2

No comments:

Post a Comment