Pages

Friday 9 October 2015

The Struggle is Real

Current situation update: sitting in my spare room, bra-less, knicker-less and let's be honest, I am yet to wash (it's 3pm).
Me? Naked? Never. 

This ladies and gentlemen, is the life of a 22 year old Bristol University graduate, 1 year on from striding out those grand oak doors with a 2:1 in Anthropology*, and (what I thought) was my ticket to success.  I recently received a letter through from Student Loans company, proudly telling me that my 3 year effort to become an educated and employable member of society cost me a mere £22 000.



Guess what? I'm unemployed. Not only am I unemployed, but the prospect of becoming employed within the next month is looking rather bleak. Slightly like the prospect of Louis Walsh being asked to return to the X Factor.. not likely. (Soz Louis).

Now, don't get me wrong, I have worked in the past. Having been employed from the ripe old age of 14, I ain't no working-virgin, a la some spoon-fed Bristol students I can think of. In fact, I have been temporarily employed since leaving education, working as an administrator within a small student lettings company. Lovely job, but not by any means a career.

And this is the problem. I would like a career. I have a burning desire to work with people, businesses and creative movements all at once. And this, my friends, isn't all that possible. EVERY application WITHOUT FAIL asks you to write an essay as to why you have a focused passion for that particular sector or role. Why you live, breathe, eat and sleep renaissance art, or war-time naval ships. And lets face it.. I don't. Yes I enjoy the arts, yes I love heritage and culture, and yes I am creative, but i'm sorry to say I don't have a focused passion for your job role. I am however, willing to learn. And with learning comes passion.

Sooooo many Instagram likes. 
The frustrating thing is companies or recruitment agencies don't get this. Or if they do, they wholeheartedly ignore it for someone who is a maniac about old boats (which is fair enough). But that leaves someone like me, who has work experience in PR, charity volunteering and an intense eagerness to develop and succeed under my belt, left sitting in their spare room, half naked with £30 in their bank account.



There wasn't really a point to this post. It's more of a monologue from a frustrated, down-trodden and almost penniless graduate, who desperately needs a job!





*and Archaeology but we don't talk about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment